#GMFER Mardi Gras for Elephants and Rhinos
Help Celebrate and Save the World’s Remaining Elephants and Rhinos
Spread the word and join the event on Saturday Sept 24, 2016!
Elephanatics is hosting the third annual #GMFER Mardi Gras for Elephants & Rhinos – on Saturday, September 24, 2016.
The poaching of elephants and rhinos has reached unprecedented heights in recent years as the demand for ivory and rhino horn has soared in China and other mainly Asian markets. An elephant is brutally killed every 15 minutes – 35,000 every year and less than 400,000 left. A rhino is poached every 11 hours – over 1,000 every year and less than 24,000 left.
Urgently raising awareness and taking immediate global action is the only way these species (and many others facing extinction) will survive. Last year over 50,000 people gathered in over 130 cities around the world to demand an end to the poaching crisis. Please join us in Vancouver for a Mardi Gras for Elephants & Rhinos!
Many fun, family activities will take place, including a number of free activities.
• enjoy live music from local musicians
• get creative at the Mardi Gras Elephant Mask Craft Table
• encourage the kids to high-five a walking elephant mascot!
• treat the family to an elephant or rhino face painting
• write your own pro-elephant message on the Mardi Gras “Graffiti Wall” and take your photo standing beside a 2 metre high elephant image
• come in elephant costume for the Best Dressed Elephant Competition
• stand behind an oversized, photo frame while a professional photographer takes your photo and gives you the printed image
• update yourself at the Information Booth on how elephants are facing Africa’s poaching crisis and Asia’s tourist trade and what everyone can do to help
• show your elephant love at the Sales Booth with elephant-themed items, including T-shirts, toques and more
• power up with yummy food and snacks and refresh with a glass of Ellie-Aide
Visit our Facebook Event page for more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/593860187434451/
- Patricia Sims – Filmmaker & Co-Founder of World Elephant Day
- Paul Blackthorne – English Actor for Film, Television and Radio
- Mike Farnworth – NDP MLA for Port Coquitlam
Tweet us on Twitter: @ElephanaticsBC and @EleRhinoMarch and#GMFER2016 #GMFER
See us on Instagram: VanCity_GlobalMarchElephants and #GMFER2016
Visit us on the Web: www.elephanatics.org andwww.march4elephantsandrhinos.org