* Elephanatics, along with a number of other signatories, has co-signed Global March for Elephants and Rhinos letter to the US Secretary of the Interior, Haaland, in regards to the recent approval of trophy hunts to the US. This move reverses the previous hold on such imports, which from 2017 had successfully prevented these body parts being imported into the US.
* Elephanatics is currently working with other organizations worldwide to prevent further exploratory drilling for oil in the Okavango Delta region in Namibia and Botswana by Canadian oil and gas company, ReconAfrica.
It is proven that the exploration of petroleum has routinely been accompanied by ecological harm, and has often been the pretext for conflicts. The Niger Delta ranks as one of the top ten most polluted places on earth with 5200 wells drilled. There is deep concern over a Canadian company, ReconAfrica, that has rights to exploratory drilling in Namibia and Botswana and the negative ramifications it will have on the environment, wildlife ecosystems, and human rights issues.Please read our letter to Prime Minister Trudeau asking for intervention from the government to prevent another environmental catastrophe that is bound to occur in the Okavango Delta.
* Elephanatics and coalition partners are still working with the Canadian government to ban the domestic trade of elephant ivory in Canada. change.org/IvoryFreeCanada
* Elephanatics along with hundreds of other organizations from around the world, sent an open letter to review and approve a summary of the latest findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) regarding climate mitigation, demanding that they focus on rapidly ending fossil fuel production and use. The letter, signed by nearly 350 organizations, including Center for International Environmental Law, Food & Water Watch, Friends of the Earth International, Greenpeace, Heinrich Böll Foundation, and the Indigenous Environmental Network, calls on governments and IPCC Co-Chairs to ensure the IPCC’s summary of the mitigation science foregrounds rapid fossil fuel phaseout in order to avoid dangerous temperature overshoot, and recognizes that reliance on large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR), carbon markets and carbon offsets, and Solar Radiation Modification (SRM) threatens irreversible harm to people and nature.
Read the full letter and signatories to the IPCC: https://www.realsolutions-not-
Read an analysis of the Working Group II report by CIEL & hbf: https://www.ciel.org/reports/
* As soon as social distancing is no longer required, we will release the new date. All tickets are good for that later date.
Come join the fun and #help #save #elephants. Every single cent Elephanatics receives goes to rescuing a tourism elephant to a sanctuary. See link for more details!